After much contemplation about how to add the runes to Zelda's bodice, not to mention my lack of drawing skills, I found the solution that best suits me. If any of you can draw straight and evenly, based on what you see, I highly suggest doing that instead, since my method involves soaking the garment in water.
What I did was print off runes, in which I made using Adobe Illustrator. (Each rune is approximately 1/2" wide.) I then traced them, using a black permanent marker, onto clear water soluble interfacing and pinned them onto the overlay. Once pinned, I hand-embroidered over each using pearly white embroidery floss. After some practice stitches, I noticed 6 threads made the runes look too buky, so I unraveled 2 threads from it (using 4 threads). Doing so gave them a much smoother appearance.
I've made significant progress today on Zelda Twilight Princess' ovelay. After scrapping my first version (which was made from stretchy, acrylic fabric) I decided to fork over the extra money and buy a yard of good quality silk dupioni, in the color amethyst. This fabric, in my opinion, lays and looks much nicer than the other stuff did. Not accustomed to working with silk, I was pretty nervous about drawing and cutting on it, but it wasn't too bad...if you can get past how thin it is and how quickly it frays.
After starting all over with the overlay (**cries a little**), I finally figured it out. I used the same pattern as I did for the underdress, only I cut the pieces off at about 40" (or less) to save fabric. I also cut the front piece down the middle and gave it a 1/2" seam allowance so that I could keep the seams accurate to character.
Once everything was sewn together, I tried it on and marked where the "V" shape would start, about 2" below my chest. I seam ripped the front opening until about 1" below my mark and then put it on my dress form to make the final adjustments. I simply folded the material under, working at an angle from where it splits (the chest area), down to the tail. It's important to make sure that both sides match as closely as possible while doing this, and it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion about the consistency of those angles. (I used my husband for this.)
So, I've spent the last few days trying to figure out Zelda's overlay, and have undoubtedly decided that I hate it. After two mockups, I've came up with a general pattern - which still needs shaping, but I'm very unhappy with how it looks so far (including the fabric I chose). Therefore, I'm probably going to start all over. **cries**
On the plus side, I have completely finished with the underdress, including the bottom designs. Twilight Princess is no easy task! But I'm going to keep at it, because I'm not a quitter. I might be old and gray before I finish, but I won't quit! Wish me luck (and send chocolate if you can).
After a brief holiday hiatus (Happy New Year Everyone!) I'm back to work on Zelda, Twilight Princess. I've finally finished the ribbon chain links and have moved onto the elaborate designs she has on her base dress. Unlike other cosplayers, I don't trust myself to draw directly onto satin fabric, and especially not to paint! Even with stencils, I have the uncanny ability to leech paint in places it doesn't belong. Therefore, I often use Ink Jet Printable Fusible Fabric Cotton sheets to print and iron on designs. I then sew (or embroider over them) to add stability and effect.
After a bit of hiatus, I’m finally back in cosplay mode and attempting to tackle Zelda Twilight Princess (something I've had on the backburner for the past 2 years!)
People have asked me to make a complete tutorial for this, so I'll try my best to post my progress here as I go. This way, you can see everything I’m doing (well, most things) and I won't forget any steps when compiling the final tutorial.
I've finally finished Arwen's gown and headdress. Check out my tutorial page for details on how I made them! And yes, Arwen's coronation gown was actually lime-green, although its hard to tell in the movie. While it's difficult to find the exact shade of lime-green (because the fabric she wore was specially dyed to compliment her skin-tone!) I believe I found the closest shade possible.
Attending Gencon was bittersweet since it's the last con of the year for me, but I had a blast and made many new friends! I debuted Miqo'te Friday and brushed the cobwebs off my Lightning Equilibrium costume for Saturday (there were literally cobwebs on my sword - no joke). On Sunday, I enjoyed "family day" as Cinderella and received hundreds of sweet little girl hugs. :)
Venturing into the crisp months of autumn, I plan focus my efforts on Arwen's coronation dress and preparing my cosplay book for print. I also have an outline for a fantasy trilogy which demands my attention, so Arwen might be it for 2017. The materials I've gathered the for Zelda, Twilight Princess will just have to wait.
Indy Comic Con will be my next convention - as far as I know - unless Anime Crossroads comes sooner. I'll keep you all posted on my schedule. Until then, I have scads of pictures to edit and upload from my recent photoshoots of Lightning, Miqo'te and Rapunzel. (There's also some Inuyasha in the mix.)
Hope everyone's having a great summer! Enjoy it while it lasts.
Such a busy week! I'm trying to finish my book (Cosplay Cents) and prepare my panel presentations for Indiana Comic Con. But I'm SO nervous!!! This will be my first time hosting a panel EVER, and also my first time as a cosplay guest. I haven't the foggiest clue what to do. AAAHHH!
I went off and did something crazy too. I bleached my hair to match Cinderella's so that I don't have to wear a wig.
All in the name of cosplay!