I've made significant progress today on Zelda Twilight Princess' ovelay. After scrapping my first version (which was made from stretchy, acrylic fabric) I decided to fork over the extra money and buy a yard of good quality silk dupioni, in the color amethyst. This fabric, in my opinion, lays and looks much nicer than the other stuff did. Not accustomed to working with silk, I was pretty nervous about drawing and cutting on it, but it wasn't too bad...if you can get past how thin it is and how quickly it frays.
Since the fabric's so thin, I ironed on some interfacing for extra support. The silk is slightly stretchy, so I didn't want anything to heavy that would hinder movement. Therefore, I settled on Pellon Knit-n-Stable Interfacing (#180). This type of facing works well on delicate and stretchy fabrics.
I used a mockup, which I had made previously, for the pattern. (See my previous blog posts to learn more.) After seaming everything together, I laid it flat onto the table to make sure that both sides flowed in a straight diagonal line.
Next, I will add the runes and final eyelits. I'll admit I'm a bit nervous about drawing the runes freehand onto the fabric - since my drawing skills are lacking. But I plan to embroider over each of them once I'm done, hopefully covering minor mistakes.