I've finally finished hand embroidering all the runes onto Zelda's overlay, and here how it all looks together so far. I'm working on the jewels next! Be sure to click the "see more" link below to see the rest of the pictures...
After much contemplation about how to add the runes to Zelda's bodice, not to mention my lack of drawing skills, I found the solution that best suits me. If any of you can draw straight and evenly, based on what you see, I highly suggest doing that instead, since my method involves soaking the garment in water.
What I did was print off runes, in which I made using Adobe Illustrator. (Each rune is approximately 1/2" wide.) I then traced them, using a black permanent marker, onto clear water soluble interfacing and pinned them onto the overlay. Once pinned, I hand-embroidered over each using pearly white embroidery floss. After some practice stitches, I noticed 6 threads made the runes look too buky, so I unraveled 2 threads from it (using 4 threads). Doing so gave them a much smoother appearance.
I've made significant progress today on Zelda Twilight Princess' ovelay. After scrapping my first version (which was made from stretchy, acrylic fabric) I decided to fork over the extra money and buy a yard of good quality silk dupioni, in the color amethyst. This fabric, in my opinion, lays and looks much nicer than the other stuff did. Not accustomed to working with silk, I was pretty nervous about drawing and cutting on it, but it wasn't too bad...if you can get past how thin it is and how quickly it frays.