After starting all over with the overlay (**cries a little**), I finally figured it out. I used the same pattern as I did for the underdress, only I cut the pieces off at about 40" (or less) to save fabric. I also cut the front piece down the middle and gave it a 1/2" seam allowance so that I could keep the seams accurate to character.
Once everything was sewn together, I tried it on and marked where the "V" shape would start, about 2" below my chest. I seam ripped the front opening until about 1" below my mark and then put it on my dress form to make the final adjustments. I simply folded the material under, working at an angle from where it splits (the chest area), down to the tail. It's important to make sure that both sides match as closely as possible while doing this, and it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion about the consistency of those angles. (I used my husband for this.)
So, I've spent the last few days trying to figure out Zelda's overlay, and have undoubtedly decided that I hate it. After two mockups, I've came up with a general pattern - which still needs shaping, but I'm very unhappy with how it looks so far (including the fabric I chose). Therefore, I'm probably going to start all over. **cries**
On the plus side, I have completely finished with the underdress, including the bottom designs. Twilight Princess is no easy task! But I'm going to keep at it, because I'm not a quitter. I might be old and gray before I finish, but I won't quit! Wish me luck (and send chocolate if you can).
After a brief holiday hiatus (Happy New Year Everyone!) I'm back to work on Zelda, Twilight Princess. I've finally finished the ribbon chain links and have moved onto the elaborate designs she has on her base dress. Unlike other cosplayers, I don't trust myself to draw directly onto satin fabric, and especially not to paint! Even with stencils, I have the uncanny ability to leech paint in places it doesn't belong. Therefore, I often use Ink Jet Printable Fusible Fabric Cotton sheets to print and iron on designs. I then sew (or embroider over them) to add stability and effect.